The DCYC intermediate sailing class is open to youth sailors who have a demonstrated sailing proficiency. Suggested ages: 10 to 14 years old. (Exceptions considered on a case-by-case basis).
Improve Racing & Boat Handling Skills:
• Upwind or close-hauled precise steering with proper air flow over the sail
• Luff tension, vang, sprit halyard tension, foot tension, mainsheet trim, cunningham use
• Reading and reacting to the wind shifts and velocity changes
• Improving reach & run boat speed; centerboard positioning for each point of sailing
• Hiking out & body positioning for different points of sail
• Maximizing a lift
• Roll tacking & gybing
• Sailing by the lee and healing to windward
• Starting line position, starting on-time, finding clear air, practice starts
• How to restart after OCS (over early)
• Mark rounding with overlapped boats
• Fast mainsheet trimming using both hands while still holding tiller
• Starting signal sounds & flags
• Good sportsmanship on the race course
• Penalty turns such as 360-degree turn after touching a mark
• 720-degree penalty turns; calling out: Protest!
• On the water practice of basic racing rules and sailing instructions
• Crossing the finish line
• Committee boat (RC) actions
• Tactical actions such as safe-leeward position, luffing another boat; establishing an overlap, covering
• Multiple practice races
Classes are scheduled to be sailed in Optimist Class prams, we also have a Laser Radial and O’pen Skiffs for larger sailors.